Wednesday, September 25, 2024

An Amkid Talks About Life With Amway Ambot Parents

One of our readers was unlucky enough to be an Amkid after her Ambot parents became lifers in Amway. Parents who join cults should have their children taken away so the kid has a shot at a normal life. Instead these kids grow up with weird parents who are devout worshippers of the Great Amway God.  Their parents are always broke and never have time to spend with the kids. When these Amkids grow up they're smart enough to know an Amway pitch when they hear one. And remember the horrors of growing up with Ambot parents.

Here's her story of growing up as an Amkid.

 

Recently some very close friends got “into the business”, and it has forced me to revisit how I feel about Amway and its impact on my childhood.

A profound sadness has hung over me since our friends told us they were considering a particular organization (which was not Amway, of course, eye roll, it is WWDB). I knew right then we were going to lose them as friends. This man has been my husband’s closest friend since high school. They have been through a ton together, and losing them is really devastating for us.

I carefully reminded them that I was an Amway kid (an Amkid?) and asked them if they wanted my perspective on growing up in Amway. I told them once and promised to support them thereafter. I knew if they didn’t hear that we are willing to support them, I would be cutting off our relationship right then and there. Nice baggage, huh.

My parents are ‘lifers’. They’ve been in since I was 8. That was 28 years ago. They had two deep teams that generated some income until they fell apart, probably 15-20 years ago.

My childhood was weirder than I realized.

-Annoyed neighbors. Weekly Tuesday night ‘product pickup’ which filled the street with the team coming to pick up their products. Weekly ‘team calling’ every Sunday night when all my Dad’s buddies would come over to call random people they had met at the grocery store, and shout ‘Loser’ or ‘Sap’ (what the heck is that anyway?) every time they got turned down. Those guys were loud down in the basement while my siblings and I were upstairs doing homework and preparing for the school week.

- Tools. Dumb, dumb tapes and books. I had NO IDEA that they were so expensive until I started reading about AmCult recently. Seriously, I thought upline was giving that stuff to my Dad. I hope my kids don’t think NPR is as annoying as I thought those tapes were.

- Negative wives. We heard all about these negative women, and how my mom struggled because she knew she was viewed as one. She is very introverted and not peppy enough. Yet she slaved over the weekly product order, product pick up, and angelically dealt with my Dad never being home. I tell you, I would be the negativest of negative wives ever.

- Functions. Gee, I wonder why we never took any family vacations? Because my parents had to go to 4 functions every year. They took us 1 time that I can remember, because some upline approved kids coming to a beach trip. A commenter above described it perfectly...we sat in the hotel room with a 13 year old babysitter watching R rated movies. The other times, my parents left us with babysitters that we didn’t really know or feel comfortable with. I am thankful that I never suffered any abuse other than neglect in any of these situations, and I hope my siblings were also safe.

- Lost friends. I bet my parents could have let us stay at friends’ houses for all those functions instead of getting weird babysitters, but they had alienated all their/our friends soon after getting into Amway. New friends were always business colleagues, and of course they came and went.

- Oh my word, stop. talking. to. everyone. My Dad would talk to everyone, everywhere. He is an extravert so he would probably have done that anyway, but I HATED knowing his friendliness was ultimately not genuine, at least I did not believe it could be. I would shuffle off and try to hide. It was always the same conversation with the same lead ins.

- Faith. After they started Amway, my parents drew away from church involvement and let Amway replace church for them. That’s something I have not seen much mention of in blogs, and it may be specific to LTD, Britt, or just the South. But in Amway, it was trendy to be a Christian, and all the functions had church services where droves of people would accept Christ like they had just been listening to Billy Graham. This made my Dad very excited, and I get why, but the lines were blurred between business and religion and it was about control, not about following the most humble man who ever walked the earth. As children, we lost connection with families from church that I, particularly, had grown up with. My parents had no more time for Bible studies or service projects, so we didn’t get to go either.

- Health. My Dad’s health suffered big time. He was a tall thin man who enjoyed working around the house before Amway. Then, then he became a man who constantly attended midnight meetings at IHOP, probably slept about 5 hours a night on average, and got fat. He has never lost all that weight, but he knows he can count on Nutri-lite vitamins to keep him going. That might have worked in his 40’s but he is in his mid 60’s now and I am very worried about him.

-Time. I suppose my Dad would have spent more time with us if he had been home in the evenings. Ultimately, I don’t think he was a bad as some people probably were, as I have never questioned his love and commitment. I’m not sure what I missed, but I was a very compliant child overall, and as a teenager I tasted a little freedom and normalcy and began to rebel and put as much emotional distance as I could between myself and my parents. It would not be until I had children that I truly wanted to be around them again.

These days, my parents are still trying to build their business, while they also work their annoying J.O.B.s (as an engineer and teacher). The only irritation for me is planning visits around functions. That really, really annoys me. I can’t see why they can’t see that their business has failed.

Our friends who have been sucked into Amway have presented the ‘plan’ to all of our mutual friends. One couple went through most of the process and went to several meetings (in another city, mind you, because we do not have an open meeting here). An upline told my pregnant friend, “This is the perfect time for you to start building your business, when you kids are babies. They won’t even remember you being gone!” I wanted to vomit when I heard that. Thankfully this couple decided to run the other way.

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Like all cults, Amway is totalitarian. It demands an all-consuming dedication from its members (the IBOs), and a complete willingness to let every other part of life die or collapse. Friends, children, jobs, relatives, neighbors, hobbies, vacations, outside interests -- all of them have to go, as far as your Amway up-line is concerned.

    This woman's account is a perfect picture of what Amway does to people. It impoverishes their existence, making it flat and dull and loveless. It turns IBOs into robotic androids who are obsessed with a fake dream.

    To be in a failing business for 28 years sounds insane. But it is very common among Amway "core" types. What a tragic waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - on this blog and other websites Amkids have a voice. And just like we say all our Amway experiences are similar there's a similar pattern of what the Amkids say. Which generally adds up to negligence. That's the life of an Amkid because nothing is more important to their parents than worshipping the Great Amway God and their cult leaders.

      Delete

Comments are moderated but we publish just about everything. Even brainwashed ambots who show up here to accuse us of not trying hard enough and that we are lazy, quitters, negative, unchristian dreamstealers. Like we haven’t heard that Amspeak abuse from the assholes in our upline!

If your comment didn’t get published it could be one of these reasons:
1. Is it the weekend? We don’t moderate comments on weekends. Maybe not every day during the week either. Patience.
2. Racist/bigoted comments? Take that shit somewhere else.
3. Naming names? Public figures like politicians and actors and people known in Amway are probably OK – the owners, Diamonds with CDs or who speak at functions, people in Amway’s publicity department who write press releases and blogs. Its humiliating for people to admit their association with Amway so respect their privacy if they’re not out there telling everyone about the love of their life.
4. Gossip that serves no purpose. There are other places to dish about what Diamonds are having affairs or guessing why they’re getting divorced. If you absolutely must share that here – don’t name names. I get too many nosy ambots searching for this. Lets not help them find this shit.
5. Posting something creepy anonymously and we can’t track your location because you’re on a mobile device or using hide my ass or some other proxy. I attracted an obsessed fan and one of my blog administrators attracted a cyberstalker. Lets keep it safe for everyone. Anonymous is OK. Creepy anonymous and hiding – go fuck yourselves!
6. Posting something that serves no purpose other than to cause fighting.
7. Posting bullshit Amway propaganda. We might publish that comment to make fun of you. Otherwise take your agenda somewhere else. Not interested.
8. Notice how this blog is written in English? That's our language so keep your comments in English too. If you leave a comment written in another language then we either have to use Google translate to put it into English so everyone can understand what you wrote or we can hit the Delete button. Guess which one is easier for us to do?
9. We suspect you're a troublemaking Amway asshole.
10. Your comment got caught in the spam filter. Gets checked occasionally. We’ll get to you eventually and approve it as long as it really isn’t spam.